It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

Raised NS Tuning? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Raised NS Tuning?
Has anyone tried bringing their NS Stick up a 4th in tuning, sort of like Emmett does with his Raised MR tuning. Bass 4ths, low to high, runs B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb. I was wondering how delicate the highest string would be if tuned E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb. The high string on Raised MR is D, so that's darn close. Thoughts? And thanks!

Kris

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:38 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Raised NS Tuning?
Kris wrote:
Has anyone tried bringing their NS Stick up a 4th in tuning, sort of like Emmett does with his Raised MR tuning. Bass 4ths, low to high, runs B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb. I was wondering how delicate the highest string would be if tuned E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb. The high string on Raised MR is D, so that's darn close. Thoughts? And thanks!

Kris
Hi Kris,

This would work better down a whole or half step. The high Eb would not be a great string for picking, as it would have to be very thin.

Or, you could drop the top two strings down a half step and have the guitar configuaraion, for chording, like so:

E-A-D-G-C-F-A-D

mmm

Greg

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:23 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Just poking in:

It seems more logical to be

E-A-D-G-C-E-A-D

This way the top 3 strings repeat the bottom three strings. Of course the guitar player version might be

E-A-D-G-B-E-A-D

Thanks for the thought experiment.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:58 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks for those suggestions. I absolutely want to stay in 4ths, so I'll probably keep it as-is. Trying to make an 8-string instrument be all things is probably not the best idea, unless the NS were to evolve into multiscale. Guess it's time for me to look at an SG12 to cover those higher ranges! Hmm...

Kris

Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:50 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

At one point I was missing the G string for the bass side. I like the pop and how the G string can cut through so I raised the bass side a 4th by removing the B string and adding another G string. The tuning went to EADGGCFBb. Having two G strings in the middle was kind of fun but in the end, I put it back to the standard BEADGCFBb. To be 100% honest, I play a half step down so that I have an X-fret like set up and I can "tap" the "open" string.

If your goal is to get higher notes on the melody side you can use a pitch shift pedal like the Digitech Whammy or EHX Pitchfork. I have the Whammy DT and really like it. Sometimes I want that high note and put it up an octave. I also use the octave down function for when I want lower notes on the melody side to get a chunky sound. I've tried using the 4th up pitch shift but that sounded weird when playing quietly because I can hear the string off the fretboard... ok with headphones or playing loud...

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Sat May 07, 2016 7:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hey Dean,

I have the EHX Pitch Fork, it's a fun pedal, but so far I'm only using it to fill out the sound a bit. I emailed Emmett and he sent a string that allowed me to tune the first string to Eb. It sounds great, so I've now raised the tuning a fourth on the whole instrument. Very happy!

Kris

Mon May 09, 2016 5:36 am