It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:03 pm

Beginner Choices... 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Beginner Choices...
Hey guys,

I'm about to take the plunge on what most likely will be a new Stick, but I was curious about whether I should go with a Grand Stick or a 10-String Stick. The reason I ask is I don't want to buy a 10-string and then a few years later wish I had purchased the Grand. I am not musically inept, I have been playing guitar for a number of years, and prior to joining the Army I played in a professional band. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:19 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Beginner Choices...
hmmm. A ten string grand would be a good choice (wider string spacing).If you want an extended high range, go for the 12. If you want the classic Stick sound, go for the passive Stickup pickup (my favorite). If you want more tonal choices, get the PASV4, if you want a very clean, "strat" type sound, get the ACTV2. (not my favorite). As for wood choices, go with whatever you like the looks of, as it has no, or very very little effect on tone. Remember , you can pick what color tuners you want too. Black, Pearl, Chrome, or Black/Chrome, and inlay material. Also remember, you can always change your mind up until the Stick goes into production.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I am pretty sure I would like a Grand Stick in dark bamboo and linear inlays. I think I'm just going to go with the basic Stick-up for the electronics. I have a Boss GT-10 for effects and I think it will work well. Hopefully I can make the commitment here in a few weeks.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

JSanta wrote:
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I am pretty sure I would like a Grand Stick in dark bamboo and linear inlays. I think I'm just going to go with the basic Stick-up for the electronics. I have a Boss GT-10 for effects and I think it will work well. Hopefully I can make the commitment here in a few weeks.

sounds good. Also, remember the Stickup is stereo, so you will need either 2 amps, one 2 channel amp, mixer, or adapter to combine bass/melody outputs. I love the Stickup!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Personally I enjoy the extra strings on the Grand Stick BUT it's still a stick. The experience isn't really a lot different IMO and a 12 string isn't any harder to play than a 10 string.

In regard to pickups, keep in mind that the Stickup is strictly stereo BUT you other two pickup types can be switched to mono. This can be very useful and is something to consider when deciding on pickup type.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Honestly, I was worried about cost in getting the PASV4, but I guess when you're already spending a lot, it's worth going that little bit further. I think having a pickup that can be used mono would be ideal in a situation where I can't have two amps. Thanks so much guys, what a wonderful forum!

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:00 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Personally I adore the original Stickup and I've had them all at one time or another including a hybrid Stickup bass and EMG melody unit. There's just something about the sound of it that says "Stick" to me. If you really want to be able to play mono once in a while, just carry around a Y adaptor.

Regarding strings ... I have to qualify this by saying that I've debated this with people who've been at this a lot longer than me and staunchly disagree ... but it is my opinion that learning 12 is no harder than learning 10. That's not to say 12 is better. Everyone has their preferences. I love the 12 and won't be going back any time soon. Emmett himself prefers 10 and I'm pretty sure he plays 10-string Grand these days. But if you are contemplating 10 strings purely because you think you should do so as a beginner, then I think you should reconsider.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

If it's as simple as just carrying a Y-adapter around then saving the cost on the Stick-Up is the way to go for me then. And after playing guitar for so many years I know that I will be able to minipulate the tones when I need too. And I've decided on the 12-String. After watching a lot of classical tunes, I think it's the way to go. Now, just to man up and order the thing!

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've decided I'm going to go for a light bamboo 10-String Grand. There isn't an option for the passivie pickups, so I'm going to go with the EMGs.

I also like the idea of keeping it mono as I will primarilly be playing it with my rock cover band and already have the Samson Airline Bass wireless system for my rig.

Do they even make stereo wireless instrument systems? I'm sure you could use the Y adaptor with two transmitters and recievers, but that's getting a little much.

#991 Teak Grand Classic

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JSanta wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm about to take the plunge on what most likely will be a new Stick, but I was curious about whether I should go with a Grand Stick or a 10-String Stick. The reason I ask is I don't want to buy a 10-string and then a few years later wish I had purchased the Grand. I am not musically inept, I have been playing guitar for a number of years, and prior to joining the Army I played in a professional band. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I think there's an assumption that a wider string spacing is "better." I don't think this is necessarily so.

Personally, I still find the regular 10-string to be the most comfortable Stick. The narrower fretboard makes reaching across the strings really easy. I don't "miss" the extra two string unless I'm trying to play certain arrangements where I don't have that range. Almost all of my recordings and videos are done with a 10-string. If they speak to you, then don't think of the lesser number of strings as "limiting." In some ways I think it's liberating.

As far as learning technique goes, 10 strings encourages you to move your hands more along the strings instead of playing "in positions". I think this is one of the best habits you can develop. Hand movement helps timing, tone, dynamic control and independence.

This is not to say that you can't move your hands on a 12 string Stick. Of course you can, but there's a tendency to want to play only with finger energy in the melody, because of the greater range in a single scale position with six strings. I consider that a "guitar-vestige" that doesn't take into account the fact that you don't have your articulating right hand anymore to energize the strings. I feel like it limits certain aspects of melody play, but that's just me.

Emmett and Cides are two of the great players who currently use only 10 strings. When I just want to "play" I go for that, too.

As far as pickups go, the Stickup is not available on the Ten String Grand, but the PASV-4 is, in addition to the ACTV-2.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery