It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:38 pm

Keith Jarrett 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Keith Jarrett

While I love his trio albums and his interpretations of standards, his improvisation is what I find most moving. I had lost my copy of The Köln Concert a few years back and picked up one from the used bin at my local CD store last month.

It's a really nice entrée into solo instrumental improvisation for anyone interested. Nothing inspires me more than hearing someone who can really play just stretch out (or "delve in" as the case may be).

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Keith Jarrett
My main man. Greg I see a real correlation between your stick playing and this side of Jarretts artistry. The act of spontaneous tonal improv without preset form is a greatly underrated, difficult and beautiful thing.

Check out Greg's "water on the moon" a GREAT cd very much in the spirit of Keith Jarrett.
I think in some ways it moves me even more.

with all that said I still am more moved by Keith Jarretts trio work what a genius.

Brett

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
My main man. Greg I see a real correlation between your stick playing and this side of Jarretts artistry. The act of spontaneous tonal improv without preset form is a greatly underrated, difficult and beautiful thing.

Check out Greg's "water on the moon" a GREAT cd very much in the spirit of Keith Jarrett.
I think in some ways it moves me even more.

with all that said I still am more moved by Keith Jarretts trio work what a genius.

Brett

Thanks Brett,

You really honor me with this comment.

Anyone who can just sit down with an instrument and explore it in a fearless way is inspiring to me. I remember going to a solo saxophone concert by Anthony Braxton. He played in this big recital hall with no amplification, and just "played" the room. Using circular breathing to create powerful standing waves that shook the room, and then playing these soft little percussive notes that you couldn't hear except for the echo.

Music is so much more than "notes."

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I just wanted to agree with everything that was said above. 'La Scala' and 'Vienna Concert' are worth investigating too (and 'Water on the Moon' definitely worth re-investigating as well). Lately, Jarrett's solo improv has changed- so to hear what he's doing now see 'Radiance'.

Thanks for mentioning great improv,

Trevor

PS: I'll throw in the last track of Ravi Shankar "Live at Monterey" too.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:06 am

Only vaguely related and not really an improv thing, but Anthony Braxton's son Tyondai now plays in an awesome electronic pseudo-prog band called Battles in which the members do some serious two-hand independence stuff, playing guitar with the left hand using all hammer-ons and such while playing keyboards and laptops with the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLAN29W-4w

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 am