It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:37 pm

used Warrs? 

Post used Warrs?
Hi all, was going to post this at the Tappistry forum, but they've disable registration for new users. Weird...

Anyway, on to my question -- how rare are used Warrs in the wild? Not seeing them listed on ebay or other forums... do they ever pop up here for sale?

I'm definitely interested in buying one, but before I spend $ on a custom instrument I'd like to buy a used 8 or 10 to get a feel for the overall build quality. TIA!

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:45 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: used Warrs?
Don't tend to see many Warr's up for sale here, unless the seller is after a Stick, more likely see them on ebay, Talkbass, Bass Northwest or The Low End.

Cheers,

Justin

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:13 am

evilgus wrote:
Don't tend to see many Warr's up for sale here, unless the seller is after a Stick, more likely see them on ebay, Talkbass, Bass Northwest or The Low End.

Cheers,

Justin

Thanks EG, I knew about TB but I'll check out BN and LE.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:59 am
Contributor
Contributor

swartzfeger wrote:
Hi all, was going to post this at the Tappistry forum, but they've disable registration for new users. Weird...

Anyway, on to my question -- how rare are used Warrs in the wild? Not seeing them listed on ebay or other forums... do they ever pop up here for sale?

I'm definitely interested in buying one, but before I spend $ on a custom instrument I'd like to buy a used 8 or 10 to get a feel for the overall build quality. TIA!

swartzfeger wrote:

I have purchased 2 WARRs over the past few years. A 12 String TGSS and a 14 String Phalanx model. They are definitely out there but you have to be patient and be willing to swoop in with the highest amount you are willing to pay, at the end of the auction. Or you could propose a "best offer" if available. I did that recently with my 10 String Stick and was able to get the instrument at a fair price without all of the anxiety of the bidding process.

I only recently got a Chapman Stick, as I mentioned, so I couldn't compare the two until now. Here are some of my observations, some of which are subjective, STICKIST forum members go easy on me.posting.php?mode=quote&f=17&p=26915#

1. Overall build and construction A++
2. Some people think they are ugly but I think they are beautiful and well crafted with natural wood finishes and, if you are willing to pay, you can get higher quality materials for the tops.
3. I think my 10 String Stick actually plays better, or at least is easier to play, which can be largely attributed to the "Fret Rails" and the string gauges
4. The low end can't be beat on the WARR especially on the Phalanx
5. The Chapman stick's ACTV-2 pickups, at least on my 10 string, seem to have superior isolation between the two regions (Bass/Melody). There must be some kind of phase rejection between the outer edges of the pickups because if you bend the 5th string up it's signal gets exponential weak and vise versa for the 6th (lowest bass) string. I find I can actually use distortion on the bass or melody side and not completely trash the pure tones of the clean side. This is something I have not been able to achieve on either WARR guitar, even with the gargantuan neck of the Phalanx
5, For ease and simplicity I give it to the STICK. I can't tell you how much easier it is to just strap that baby on and not get a kink in my neck or back after playing it. The WARR must be at least 10 lbs heavier (just guessing)
6. THe Stick has a mono switch which is extremely useful. I believe the best way to preserve the full tone of both outputs would be to use the individual outputs and go to a summing amp and then combing to mono, but in a pinch or during practice sessions it is so much better than having to use a Y cable
7. The MIDI tracking is superior on the WARR because it uses the Piezos in the bridge. This is always going to provide better tracking.
8. Tone-wise, I think you can certainly get incredible tones from the STICK most of which are unique to the instrument, or at least tapping style instruments, but if you want a sound that can rival any bass or guitar sound out there, then the WARR can do it. Check out this example of my Bass tones on my TOOL cover series on WARR guitar on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/WARR138#p/a/u/0/cGUQOZOy2H8
9. String spacing. On the WARR you can get your right hand fingers in between the strings to do some traditional strumming or bass fingering techniques, much like the NS Stick. I don't think it is the easy to do that on the STICK, even on the GRAND. I could be wrong about that posting.php?mode=quote&f=17&p=26915#
10. "Wow Factor" goes the the WARR. If people haven't seen a Chapman Stick they will definitely react but the WARR just looks like a beast and usually just makes people laugh and say "What the heck is that thing???" It's grandiosity at it's finest.posting.php?mode=quote&f=17&p=26915#
11. Tunings and customization. You can get any tuning that you could on a STICK, barring the ALTO. There are some limitations as to the highest note that can sound on the WARR due to the tension. Both of my WARRs are tuned in Uncrossed 4ths but I am thinking of changing the TGSS 12 to Matched Reciprocal because I am digging the Stick tuning on my 10.
12. Strap. I think the neck strap thing on the STICK is "home made looking" and dorky. I do like the belt clip option, in theory, but when you see someone wearing a belt over a shirt, it reminds me of a medieval knight. The WARR has the Slider strap which works very well even when seated.
13. Price Tag. You are going to pay a price for the extra time and skill necessary to build a WARR. Typically $1000 more even for the lowest priced intrument. You will not find a WARR, even on eBay, for much below the cost of a new one. The only thing you are gaining by buying used is not having to wait for the new one to be built and shipped (up to a year). Chapman sticks are sometimes new and in stock as part of each production run. I think WARRs are still built custom for each new order.
In summary, you can't go wrong with either one. They both are just incredible instruments. Clearly Chapman Stick is the pioneer and the source of inspiration for the other "teflon" instruments. But just because something was the first doesn't mean it is the best for any individual. Can't we all just get along? posting.php?mode=quote&f=17&p=26915#

Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:17 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I bought a Warr Artist 8 a couple of years ago from a guy on Tappestry. $2800 with piezos...good instrument. There have been a few which may not have sold, you can search the "swapmeet" section's history back to the beginning and contact those sellers.

What I'd really like to find second-hand is a U8....

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Stick138 wrote:
I have purchased 2 WARRs over the past few years. A 12 String TGSS and a 14 String Phalanx model. They are definitely out there but you have to be patient and be willing to swoop in with the highest amount you are willing to pay, at the end of the auction. Or you could propose a "best offer" if available. I did that recently with my 10 String Stick and was able to get the instrument at a fair price without all of the anxiety of the bidding process.

Hey 138, thanks for the awesomely informative post! BTW, I watched your Warr/Tool vids on youtube months ago, very good stuff. And your FXpansion submission is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking to do, so I may pick your brain some day in regards to your stereo and midi and amp setup.

I'm actually due to buy a Warr from someone soon -- I was supposed to buy it a few months back, then I found a 5str Bongo fretless that caught my eye, then money got tight, etc. I'm hoping to own a Warr in the month or so.

Quick question on the Warr's bottom end -- what technically makes it so heavy compared to the Stick? The Warr's bottom end is like an absolute steamroller, I love the sound and tone.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:34 am
Contributor
Contributor

swartzfeger wrote:
Hey 138, thanks for the awesomely informative post! BTW, I watched your Warr/Tool vids on youtube months ago, very good stuff. And your FXpansion submission is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking to do, so I may pick your brain some day in regards to your stereo and midi and amp setup.[\qoute]

Thanks. That FXPANSION video won me a ton of BFD samples. I am 100% studio musician at this point so I actually don't need an elaborate setup like this because I can just overdub everything. I use a Line6 Bass Pod XT Live for the Bass side and NI Guitar Rig 4 for the guitar tones. I have a Roland GI-20 to translate the Roland 13 pin midi signal and also a Roland Gr33 guitar Synth to translate the other output of the WARR. I used two virtual synths within ProTools. The one on the bass side was an analog synth bass type and the melody side had an arppegiated sound to add movement and to sound more complex.

swartzfeger wrote:
Quick question on the Warr's bottom end -- what technically makes it so heavy compared to the Stick? The Warr's bottom end is like an absolute steamroller, I love the sound and tone.

I think it must be attributed to the Bartolini pickups and the physical interplay between the body and the bridge and neck. Think of the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul. The heavy construction of the Les Paul and the humbuckers give it that unmistakeable "chunkiness"I strongly believe that there are rich harmonics generated with all of that wood resonance.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:12 am
Contributor
Contributor

mad_monk wrote:
What I'd really like to find second-hand is a U8....

I hadn't heard about the U8 until your post. What's the deal with them? Are they supposed to rival a WARR? I went to the site but it didn't seem to be too up to date. They only have an 8 string as far as I could tell. What is the price range?

Stick138

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:59 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

http://www.vimeo.com/touchguitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjB-ExKfo0g

The price was $4185 when it came out in 2009. Currently only the 8-string is available. Tuned BЬFCGDACD.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

mad_monk wrote:
Tuned BЬFCGDACD.

What is that? Crafty with a major second on top? What's the logic/advantage of that tuning?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:43 am