It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:01 am

Who is tuning in Raised Matched Reciprocal? Heavy guage... 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Who is tuning in Raised Matched Reciprocal? Heavy guage.
AnDroiD wrote:
You guys confuse me...

I guess you have to own many sticks to get into the different gauges...

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:40 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

720hrs World Record wrote:
AnDroiD wrote:
You guys confuse me...

I think it's rather a question about finding out what tuning and guage resonates best with your particular instrument in the musical situation you tend to use it. Physical factors as material and scale matter but also what music you play; what ensemble situation your strings are supposed to blend with. One aspect is whether you play mostly chords or melody/bass lines.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

AnDroiD wrote:
You guys confuse me...

That's one thing I always wonder from threads like this. Just how many Sticks does Greg own for example. It seems like he is re-stringing for a new tuning pretty frequently, but a lot of these threads are actually months apart.

I know if I was buying one today I would have trouble deciding between the 10, 12 Grand and an Alto. I can't go w/the classic Gearslutz answer of "Buy them all!" as I have yet to win the lottery :) Which Stick, which tuning, which string gauge. Do I spring for MIDI, do I get a Stepabout, is there a holy grail amp for this instrument, etc. So many questions.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SSquirrel wrote:
That's one thing I always wonder from threads like this. Just how many Sticks does Greg own for example. It seems like he is re-stringing for a new tuning pretty frequently, but a lot of these threads are actually months apart.

I know if I was buying one today I would have trouble deciding between the 10, 12 Grand and an Alto. I can't go w/the classic Gearslutz answer of "Buy them all!" as I have yet to win the lottery :) Which Stick, which tuning, which string gauge. Do I spring for MIDI, do I get a Stepabout, is there a holy grail amp for this instrument, etc. So many questions.

Of course you get the StepABout :)

I currently only own 3 Sticks, one of which is a Grand that I use for tuning experiments. I haven't tried all the possible tunings, but I've messed around with several, both crossed and uncrossed, various combinations of 4ths and 5ths, parallel and mirrored.

Emmett's design makes it easy to experiment, but if you're playing a lot, you'll probably not want to do this too much on your main axe as it's good to have time to let things settle in before moving on to the next brilliant idea!

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

greg wrote:
Of course you get the StepABout :)

I applaud your self-pimping sir :)

greg wrote:
I currently only own 3 Sticks, one of which is a Grand that I use for tuning experiments. I haven't tried all the possible tunings, but I've messed around with several, both crossed and uncrossed, various combinations of 4ths and 5ths, parallel and mirrored.

Emmett's design makes it easy to experiment, but if you're playing a lot, you'll probably not want to do this too much on your main axe as it's good to have time to let things settle in before moving on to the next brilliant idea!

That's cool. I doubt many of my ideas would fall in the category of brilliant. Sometimes interesting if I'm lucky, but probably just enough to irritate my wife. My kids would think it was cool tho :)

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SSquirrel wrote:
AnDroiD wrote:
You guys confuse me...

That's one thing I always wonder from threads like this......I know if I was buying one today I would have trouble deciding between the 10, 12 Grand and an Alto...... So many questions.

.............But with Stickist.com your questions will be answered........ :ugeek:

It took me months to decide which stick and tuning would be good for me. I wanted dual mirrored deep bass tuning in decending 5ths so I can have the same 6 string bass setup on each side (so I can drum on the strings :o ) and SE is making it for me.

If I messed up and made something that does not work well ?? I will just order a new set of strings. (a small price to pay for a mistake)

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:12 pm