It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Method Book 

Which introductory Stick Method Book should a new player purchase FIRST?
Emmett's book 41%  41%  [ 11 ]
Greg's book 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Steve's book 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Someone else's book (please describe in your post) 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27

Method Book 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Method Book
digitalkettle wrote:
greg wrote:
Not to hijack the thread but as I'm still working on my songbook, I'm wondering how many of you folks read standard notation?

Just curious...

I do...but not if any tab is present! ;-)

As sad as it is, I'm with digitalkettle here.

Anyways, I hope to get Steve's book soon, if for nothing other than the Compass Walking Bass Line stuff. I know the other stuff will be great too, but that just blows my mind and I'd love to explore the pianoless Jazz combo I'm in more by comping while walking.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:54 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Petary791 wrote:
digitalkettle wrote:
greg wrote:
Not to hijack the thread but as I'm still working on my songbook, I'm wondering how many of you folks read standard notation?

Just curious...

I do...but not if any tab is present! ;-)

As sad as it is, I'm with digitalkettle here.

Not too sad I hope! :lol:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:04 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

>>>Anyways, I hope to get Steve's book soon, if for nothing other than the Compass Walking Bass <<<<

FYI, I'll be traveling for 2 weeks starting Thursday, Jan. 17. If you want the book direct from me order soon or you'll have to wait till late Jan. You can always get the book from SE or Mel Bay (without the autograph)
The Author

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

EricTheGray wrote:
greg wrote:

Just curious...

I hate to sound so ignorant but what do you mean by standard notation? I read piano, guitar, and StaffTab(TM). I actually don't read tab notation very well. Is that what you are looking for?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Yes, just trying to find out what people's comfort level is with staff notation, I wasn't really referring to tab notation.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I grew up with a classical pianist father. I don't remember ever not knowing how to read traditional notation.

Is that what you had in mind?

Had an ironwood Stick in the late 80s, but I sold it. (One of my two big regrets in life.)

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Well, I just called SE and ordered Free Hands. I owned a copy many, many years ago, so I thought I'd start back where I was. Yuta recognized my name from here. I guess I must exist.

However, I'll keep the poll up and running for a while.

And I'll post my next poll, Method Book II (The Sequel), in about six months: "If you already own Emmett's book, which method book should be your second purchase." (Unless some other book is in first place when I'm ready for the second book.)

Other news, there's some interesting things going on at work. We're starting work on next year's budget. As part of the proposed changes to the budget, my boss is attempting to get my position uprated. This would mean a significant increase in pay. Given how long the wait list is, if I place an order in October (when the upgrade is effective), when the Stick is ready I'll have the money.

Unless I'm totally incompetent on my Krappy "thing" between now and October. (It's not my fault that he hasn't named his touch guitar thing.)

Had an ironwood Stick in the late 80s, but I sold it. (One of my two big regrets in life.)

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:26 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Only one vote...

I didn't realize my Mom was on this forum...

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I also have all three, and I really can't vote as I've found some unique and valuable information in all of them. I just got Steve's, and I highly recommend it, as much as the other two. Actually getting Steve's inspired me to get the others out and review them again, as well as Bob's video series. I'm seriously thinking about returning to Matched Reciprocal tuning simply because there's so much info in these books, I feel like I gave up on 5th's on the bass side too soon. It's time to revisit. So Greg, you have 1/3rd of a vote from me!

Kris

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:53 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Only one vote...

Ha! Actually, some us haven't voted because you need an option of "All of the above". Without a teacher you need all the resources you can get. All the books are great and have their own own focus and strengths. I even have your book in both Standard and Baritone Melody versions. I would never recommend just one of these books to a full newbie. You have to have all of them.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
Only one vote...

I thought that was your vote Greg! ;-)

EricTheGray wrote:
Ha! Actually, some us haven't voted because you need an option of "All of the above". Without a teacher you need all the resources you can get. All the books are great and have their own own focus and strengths. I even have your book in both Standard and Baritone Melody versions. I would never recommend just one of these books to a full newbie. You have to have all of them.

+1 to what Eric said.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next