It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:37 pm

Serious 'Music on Stick' question/statement 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Serious 'Music on Stick' question/statement
Jayesskerr wrote:
Gene, I just watched that video. Confirmed an opinion I have in regards to independence, and as well, some stuff SA has been trying to drill in to my thick skull, heh. Very cool video.

Yes, I agree having just watched a lot of the video, thanks Gene. Very interesting discussion. It was great to hear all of those top players in a casual relaxed setting.
Rand

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:29 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

RHYTHMIC independence is the most difficult skill at the keyboard. And like Greg said, what many people do is very interdependent. For me REAL independence is playing 6 beats in one hand and 7 in the other arriving together on their downbeats, OR having unique downbeats that don't coincide. Left hand in 4/4 right hand is 6/4 with the same tactus. Drummers practice this stuff from telephone numbers in the phone book. One thing I saw was a guy playing two scores at the same time on a cello. Left hand fingers do one score, the bowing had plays the other. Don't have independence like that, probably never going to get it. Don't know that I need it.

One issue when wanting to play fast improvisation is if you're already having trouble jumping from 16th notes to 32nd notes, which might be too fast to play clean, is to move to 16th note triplets instead. Even those can feel too fast though.

The other solution is to play only one more 16th note in the duration of 4 sixteenths to increase the perceived speed. That's not much faster but a bit difficult to execute with the right hand if the left hand is complex.

Maybe just for those moments, only play held notes in the left hand so as to be able to pull it off. If you can play these quintuplets then it still leaves you the 16th note triplets which, if you had started with those, you'd have already blown all your chops. Starting with less speed leaves you somewhere to go. But like Brett said. There's no easy solution.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:56 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:44 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
lol Imagine Yngwie and Jerry Cantrell, Steve Morse, Steve Vai, Joe Bonamassa, Satriani, Holdsworth, EVH, Frank Gambale, and Mike Stern trying to talk about that sort of thing... well, a few of 'em might be cool to each other...

Yngwie and Eddie would get pissed that everyone else thought Steve Morse was the best player. Steve Vai and Joe Satriani would team up, as ever, to calm them down by noting that they could demonstrate the entirety of electric guitar history among them. Allan and Frank would get the ball rolling by talking about the big jazz boxes, and all would be well...until Yngwie began to smolder as Jerry discussed the history of G&L and the importance of Leo's later work. Joe Bonamassa would quickly make peace by saying "Come on fellas, we're all Marshall fans here!" while smirking at Mike. Mike would come back with "tell that to your Carol-Ann," followed quickly by Joe Bonamossa's retort "hey, at least it has tubes in it." No one would give Eddie shit about the 5150 III because they all know it kicks ass.

...all of that is my way of saying "I am a guitar nerd too, bro!"

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:40 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:59 pm