It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:14 pm

reliving the not-so glory days 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post reliving the not-so glory days
I recently ran across some basement tapes(yes, tapes) of my old band Johnny .07 (not to be confused with Johny O' Seven...I think we were first). Anyway, this music goes back to the early nineties so needless to say I am glad it survived. In that band I played bass and sang some. I can't believe how differently I think about bass lines now that I play the Stick. (Baritone Melody, the name of my next child) I had a really challenging time trying to play my old bass lines with one hand while trying to improv over them with the melody side.

But I think it is good to try. Sometimes I miss "bass player" sounding bass lines in Stick music. Can I get an AMEN? Especially my music. My current band has a bass player so I don't usually dwell on it.

So I am hoping that adding this exercise to my rehearsal time(the part about trying to play bass parts that sound like bass player parts) will expand the musicality of my music.

No offense to left han arpegiators. I also love the sound of melody played over Left hand comping and chords made by combining both hands. I am really trying to find a good balance to these in my playing.

Mike

Does anyone know how to get cassette tapes to convert to MP3? I might even post some of these old songs some time. We had a nice blend of tricky time signatures, jazz, funk, comedy and unconventional improv. Ahhh...memories.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: reliving the not-so glory days
mike kemp wrote:
I recently ran across some basement tapes......
Does anyone know how to get cassette tapes to convert to MP3? I might even post some of these old songs some time. We had a nice blend of tricky time signatures, jazz, funk, comedy and unconventional improv. Ahhh...memories.

I have done that many times, cassette player into ProTools (or other PC recording software) and hit record.

When that is done you will have many tools to clean up audio, then bounce to mp3.

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:36 am