It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:44 am

Finally! Stickless no more 

Post Re: Finally! Stickless no more
Congrats!

(And like SteveS said, one less in the queue ahead of mine as well! All kidding aside, I'll wait however long it takes. I've wanted a Stick for decades and a few months more won't hurt me!)

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:45 am

BTW, got the amp setup sorted, and it works now. I'm actually using just the StepAbout and headphones for practice. Working on building a stand for it now. I have some nice woods sitting in the back room (bubinga, wenge, sapele, zebra wood, cherry, beech, walnut and hard maple) so I think I need to come up with something purty......

Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great looking instrument, congratulations!

Love those inlays...

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:01 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RandomCrap wrote:
Oh, and it's serial number 7289.

Does anyone know if serial numbers get assigned when an instrument reaches some stage of completion, or at the point of order?

I ask as I just noticed a number a long way ahead of that in a sig (not a Railboard, so presumably not subject to the same component supply issues?).

Edit to add: 'not a Railboard...'

Bamboo 12 #7472 Stickup 7+5 Parallel 4ths (C#1 F#1 B1 E2 A2 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4)
Bamboo 12 #5826 PASV4 7+5 Parallel 4ths
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:10 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
RandomCrap wrote:
Oh, and it's serial number 7289.

Does anyone know if serial numbers get assigned when an instrument reaches some stage of completion, or at the point of order?

I ask as I just noticed a number a long way ahead of that in a sig (not a Railboard, so presumably not subject to the same component supply issues?).

Edit to add: 'not a Railboard...'
The serial numbers are assigned when the blanks are machined. SE tries to anticipate the need for various blank configurations, including woods, pickup type, types of inlays etc. So a blank that was machined a while ago might be later in the production queue than one that was more recently machined, especially if there were no matching blanks available at the time an instrument was ordered..

Make sense? As the Italians say... non ti preoccupare

Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
The serial numbers are assigned when the blanks are machined....
Make sense?

Perfect sense. I imagine that when the RB component issues arose there would have been a stock of blanks that would have just sat there till the parts became available? That could easily explain a wooden Stick having a substantially later serial number even though completed earlier. I might have guessed that Emmett would have a perfectly logical system in place. :)

greg wrote:
As the Italians say... non ti preoccupare

Translation to Scots: Dinna Fash. ;)

Or for a fancier version Matthew 6:34

Bamboo 12 #7472 Stickup 7+5 Parallel 4ths (C#1 F#1 B1 E2 A2 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4)

Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:45 am

My Railboard was subject to numerous delays. The order was originally for a 12 string, and in January they announced the new pickup because they could not get the old ones, and mentioned in passing that it was only available for the 10 string. I called them and after some discussion I switched my order to a 10 string RB. Then, I had to wait on rails. When those came in (a short wait) they went out for anodizing, a process that took around 2 months (!!). I image it was about that point where my serial number got assigned, perhaps. Then, the new pickups were not being sent either, and I just had to wait until they got some in. That took about 3-4 months. Depending upon the size of the batch they received, a lot of folks might get their RB soon.

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RandomCrap wrote:
...they went out for anodizing...I image it was about that point where my serial number got assigned, perhaps.

Is the number (stamped?) on the aluminium 'beam' or on the headstock? If it's on the beam I suppose a clue to sequence would be if the serial number itself is anodised?

Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:50 pm

Well, it's not on the headstock, which is a separate composite part on a Railboard. I cannot locate it on the rail either, so perhaps it is stamped in the slot where the pickup is located.

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RandomCrap wrote:
so perhaps it is stamped in the slot where the pickup is located.

Under the pickup block would seem like a reasoable option. From what Greg wrote I'd guess Railboard numbers would be assigned before going to be anodised, maybe even cut as part of the CNC milling process?

Just trivial details, even before the other news.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:20 am