It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Beginner Choices... 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Beginner Choices...
Thanks for the input Greg, I emailed you through Myspace this weekend, but it's fantastic to get a reply here.

My biggest concern is that if I buy a 10-String, that I'm going to wish I had bought a 12-String instead. I won't have the ability to purchase another instrument for quite sometime I imagine, and I want to make sure that I have exactly what I need if that instrument is the only one I would have access to for many years. If getting a 10-string is not going to limit me in any way, then I would go ahead with that, but I fear that might not be the case.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:08 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JSanta wrote:
Thanks for the input Greg, I emailed you through Myspace this weekend, but it's fantastic to get a reply here.

My biggest concern is that if I buy a 10-String, that I'm going to wish I had bought a 12-String instead. I won't have the ability to purchase another instrument for quite sometime I imagine, and I want to make sure that I have exactly what I need if that instrument is the only one I would have access to for many years. If getting a 10-string is not going to limit me in any way, then I would go ahead with that, but I fear that might not be the case.

I'm terrible about checking my MySpace page, sorry.

There will always be limits and tradeoffs.

Often, people limit themselves by how they think about the instrument. A 10-string in the Matched Reciprocal tuning has exactly the same range as a 12 String, but on the 12-string the string groups overlap more, so the only limitations would be on certain aspects of what could be done on each set of strings, but not "in totality".

If you are going to segregate your hands to bass and melody strings, then you will be more limited. If you are going to use both hands on the whole instrument, then there is much less of a limitation.

When I started there was only one choice. It didn't hold me back in any way.

but if you think you will want 12 strings, it certainly won't hurt you to have them, and they do make for some expanded arrangement possibilities.

You haven't said much about what kind of music expect you'll be making.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hello JSanta,

My first stick was a bambo grand 10 strings, and it's really a great instrument.
Then i bought a 12 strings in may, and tuned it mirrored 4th.
At first i keep playing the 10 but since end of june i play all on the 12.
I think the difference is small between a 10 and 12 string in normal 4th/5th tuning, as it add one low string on the melodic side and one high string on the bass side.
Some stickists tune the bass side high note to A so they use it to add voice to theyr chords.
Have a look at the tunings page http://stick.com/instruments/tunings/.
On the other side 12 strings permit a lot.
Mirrored 4th is a fantastic tuning and you should read rob martino article http://www.stick.com/articles/mirrored4ths/.
You can even play uncrossed if you want with it.
A good non stick page about tunings is http://www.clicmusic.be/index.php?page=tunings-tg.php

As a first stick buyer you don't want to regret for the next 5 years those 2 extra strings

If had to buy my first stick now i would choose a 12 strings as it offer me more choice of tunings, ranges and playing style without any loose from a 10.
Maybe the string space of the grand 10 is the only loose one can see ?

It depend a lot of what you want to play/explore with it.

Anyway it's great to have a stick (10 or 12 even and alto/sg12) in your life :D

Good luck JSanta.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:37 am
Contributor
Contributor

You guys truly are fantastic!

To address your question first Greg, I think musically I really am all over the place. I am really into Progressive Rock/Metal bands, like Liquid Tension Experiment, Lazuli, Porcupine Tree, etc. But then on the other side of the house I have been studying a lot of jazz and classical because of where I thought my Army career was going to take me.

MMagnon, thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it!

Greg, if you like I can resend the message I sent you on Myspace to the address here, it's not pressing.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

To me, the best thing about the 12 string is the high string on the bass side.
it lets me do some chords in a higher range without clashing too much with
the melody side hand

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:35 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

mike.hoegeman wrote:
the melody side hand
YES!!!!

Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mike.hoegeman wrote:
the melody side hand

I agree with this strongly, too. I almost never play string 6, which is the lowest note on the melody side. But, I'm using string 12, the highest bass note, more and more.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

After seeing the pictures that Greg posted of the Wenge Stick, I think that is what I'm going to order. I think a silver pearl linear inlays will look great. Along with the Stick-Up, I think I will be pretty happy!

Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:25 pm

Hello, first-time poster here:

I, too am contemplating buying a new instrument and have virtually
identical concerns to JSanta's, except I play piano and a little guitar.
Not being able to try out a Stick anywhere, how different is the
10 vs. Grand string spacing? The Grand sounds like a great thing, but
I am concerned with "crowding." Would anyone like to share their
experience with the Grand in this regard? Thanks in advance for the
input.

Thanks,
Ghoux

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:00 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Personally I think the different in spacing would be more noticeable if you started with one and then switched to the other. Right out of the box, the difference is negligible in my opinion. I should add though that this also depends on your physical makeup. If your fingers are more toward the short and stubby side then you might indeed feel a little over crowded with the 12-string spacing and the added neck width. Other than that, I think you're good either way.

Coming from a piano background, I think you might prefer the range overlap between the sides of a 12-string.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next