It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:45 pm

To rout or not?? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post To rout or not??
Hmmmn, not sure about doing this - I have a paduak grand, and I find the black markers just too dark to see well enough in the conditions I normally play under. I'm considering possibly attacking my stick with a router to get rid of them and inlay something a bit brighter. Madness?? I'm not sure, but my dad is pretty skilled with these sort of things so I'm seriously thinking about it.

Opinions?

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:46 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: To rout or not??
What about putting something like metallic foil tape on top of the markers? That's a pretty thin material.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm using (carefully cut and positioned ;-) ) black electrical tape on tarara. Instantly, I felt more secure on the instrument. I don't stare down at the board whilst playing but the extra contrast really helps (the original markers are paua dots).

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:14 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Actually I have used metallic foil tape before, when trying linear marking over the dots that I had. It works 'OK', but I never liked the way that the edges would peel after a while, and the effect of the stick gunk on the stick surface long-term. Also, I find it a bit naff sticking tape to an expensive instrument. I'd like to find something that I see as a permanent solution.

Maybe to just skim about 1mm deep and stick something flush in the gap.

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:50 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oi! I said 'carefully cut and positioned' ;-)
(point taken)

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:57 pm
Contributor
Contributor

At the Stick seminar I was at with Greg Howard, he had a Bamboo Stick made with no marking at all and then he had added some card stock level thickness of colored paper for brilliant blue linear markings.

In the picture below you'll notice that I, spurring of of his idea, had added simple removble label stickers cut to size on mine to add markings. I would imagine you could find them in a host of colors and they have lasted a long time.

Just a few ideas.

-Curtis

P.S. If you look real close you'll notice that they don't quite extend all the way across and are rounded with a cut from a pair of fingernail clippers. This keeps them from ever coming into contact with your hand and peeling off. You can also also use a size that is enough longer that you can hold them from both sides to aid in accurate placement. Then, just clip them just short of the edge. Wow, my P.S. is longer than the main message.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Twizzle....good to have your icon once again gracing the forum. If you are confidant about your father's power tool skill, would you consider routing within the black markers and then inlay the black markers with a lighter material? The result being a light marker with a black border. Just a thought...

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

dubyasee wrote:
Hi Twizzle....good to have your icon once again gracing the forum. If you are confidant about your father's power tool skill, would you consider routing within the black markers and then inlay the black markers with a lighter material? The result being a light marker with a black border. Just a thought...

That sound's like a very cool idea that could turn out very unique and it could help keep you safely away from the wood.

-Curtis

Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Curtis, If you or Greg was using card stock what did you use for glue? Card stock os pretty thick, can you feel it under your fingers?
Thanks.
jrj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:02 pm
Contributor
Contributor

JRJ wrote:
Hi Curtis, If you or Greg was using card stock what did you use for glue? Card stock os pretty thick, can you feel it under your fingers?
Thanks.
jrj

Hey there. Mine was really thin and could only be felt when you were trying to. Greg's was a little thicker and you could definitely feel it. I don't know that you would feel it when playing though. I don't think he was using it longterm. If I remember right I think he was deciding which color he wanted on permanent inlays.

Perhaps Greg with drop in in the next day or so and comment on what he did and how he liked it.

As I mentioned before, mine was merely a removable label sticker material cut in a strip, placed, then trimmed. Very flat and unobtrusive. It worked great for me. In fact, I just sold that Stick because I got my new one and I left them on for the picture and shipment. My guess is that Ed will leave them on.

I hope this helps.

-Curtis

Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:49 pm