It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:58 am

Changing strings? Why not hit it with some Watco! 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Changing strings? Why not hit it with some Watco!
I recently decided it was time to change the strings on my current main axe, the chechen Grand Stick.. So I took the opportunity to hit it with a fresh "coat" of Watco. Great stuff, beautiful and a beautiful incredibly smooth natural feeling finish.

Attachment:
whole.jpg

Attachment:
fronthead.jpg

Attachment:
backhead.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Changing strings? Why not hit it with some Watco!
Dang! Runway ready!

My rosewood stick is throwing me a look now, considering it didn’t get the spa treatment after a string change a couple days ago….

Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Beautiful finish. I make tobacco pipes out of wood and stone. I like the Watco natural because it doesn’t stay surfaced on my exotic woods , it penetrates well and darkens to bring out the true character of the wood. ( highlights). I even use it on soft limestone and granite. I been cleaning my strings on my Sticks and Basses with alcohol pads on top and under my strings they barely hit the top of the frets which removes string residue. The emollients of pure mineral oil brings life in the wood to keep it’s natural state and color. I use the Watch products quite often and is a great option for the Stick woods. As always some will disagree.( I don’t clean the wood with alcohol, alcohol is a extreme dryer.).never!

Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
a fresh "coat" of Watco. Great stuff, beautiful and a beautiful incredibly smooth natural feeling finish.

I think that's 'Watco Danish Oil'?

What do people tend to use on the European side of 'The Pond'?

'Rustins' maybe?

Bamboo 12 #7472 Stickup 7+5 Parallel 4ths (C#1 F#1 B1 E2 A2 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4)
Bamboo 12 #5826 PASV4 7+5 Parallel 4ths
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:53 am

Watco Danish Oil (and numerous other brands of "Danish Oil") are simple mixes of a drying oil, a varnish, and a carrier solvent. You can make your own pretty cheaply. The commercial ones have drying agents to speed drying, to help make up for the lower solids content.

You need to use a drying oil - an oil that hardens, such as Tung oil or boiled linseed oil. A good recipe for a homemade Danish Oil is equal parts pure Tung oil, a polyurethane varnish, and solvent. Since the first two are oil based, the solvent would be mineral spirits. You can make this up in smaller quantities and avoid throwing away a half can of Watco, and it has more solids and so will make a more durable finish. You can use gloss or semi-gloss varnish; the latter has dulling agents added. Play around on some scrap wood and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:42 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I do it every time I change strings - I mean, I'm not a professional playing out guy, so string changes happen once a year if I'm lucky - or unlucky depending on how you look at it. I change the strings when I can't seem to tune them any longer. I use some kind of lemon oil Watco-type I found under the cupboard that my roomate used on his fine-wood creations. He's a retired master carpenter/tinkerer that knows what he's doing, so the oil is top-rate. (No, it's not Pledge) But I use it on the Sticks and all the fingerboards that are un-sealed woods on my other stringed instruments.
But yeah, the full "strings off and clean the Stick" routine happens when I change strings. The oil cleans and protects and makes my Stick purty. Any wooden Stick should have it done. If you can't find Watco find something similar they are out there.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Is there a clear version of Watco that won’t change the stick’s color?

Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:35 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Watco Danish Oil comes in clear. It's called 'Natural'.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81Z ... L1500_.jpg

That's what I use on my (1978) #404 made from Angico hardwood.
The camera doesn't capture the full detail very well.
The Angico wood almost looks like 'Tiger's eye'.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:55 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RandomCrap wrote:
You need to use a drying oil - an oil that hardens, such as Tung oil or boiled linseed oil. A good recipe for a homemade Danish Oil is equal parts pure Tung oil, a polyurethane varnish, and solvent.

I'd recommend adding a Japan Dryer to that mix. Pure tung oil takes for-EV-er to dry, so the japan dryer makes sure it polymerizes quickly.

This is the recipe I've used for years as a wiping varnish for finishing furniture, and wouldn't hesitate to use it on a Stick, though I'd probably double or triple the solvent (turpentine or mineral spirits) to make it very thin. This is so that over years of refreshing the finish, you don't get much of a "build". This formula is intended to build rather quickly over multiple applications. Note that Watco has a very thin consistency.

Watco is much easier if you can get it or its equivalent wherever you are. If it's not, mix this in a small batch, as it will set up in storage unless in a sealed, oxygen-free container (Stop Loss bags are great for storing finishes, but even the smallest - 1 qt - are much more than you'd probably ever mix of this stuff). I use a 100ml graduate I, and will mix up small batches of of 25-50ml, about 1-2oz. Plenty for refreshing the finish on a Stick.

10 parts alkyd varnish
10 parts pure tung oil
2 parts Japan dryer
1 part turpentine

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:15 pm