It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:42 pm

Newbie - Setup questions 

Post Newbie - Setup questions
Hi everyone,

I received my first Stick three weeks ago. It's a brand new Rosewood Grand Stick, it's awesome and I'm really enjoying it!

Two days ago, I found out that tapping frets 1, 2, 3 on the highest melody strings (Matched Reciprocal tuning, "G" and "C") produces no sound. They sounded great last week and I didn't modify anything on the Stick, it just happened all of a sudden.

Why did it happen? Is this a string or a setup issue? How can I fix it?

I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions. As I mentioned, I'm new to the instrument and to the forum (I hope this is not a dumb question :oops:)

PD: I apologize for any grammar or spelling errors. English is not my first language.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:00 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Newbie - Setup questions
Check your truss rod adjustment. It sounds like you need to loosen it up just a notch. Especially the wood Sticks are moved out of proper adjustment with just a minor temperature or humidity change. I check mine nearly every time I play.

There are a lot of resources to tell you exactly how to check and adjust your truss rod.

Good Luck,

Jim

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:17 am

Thanks Jim, I'll give it a try tonight. I hope I don't mess things up. The rest of the strings/frets feel/sound great so I would really hate to make the problem worse!

Thanks again,

- Jose

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:37 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

porru wrote:
Thanks Jim, I'll give it a try tonight. I hope I don't mess things up. The rest of the strings/frets feel/sound great so I would really hate to make the problem worse!

Thanks again,

- Jose

Hi Jose,

You probably only need to adjust your truss a little. There should be instructions that came with your instrument on how to do that. There is also a web page here:

http://www.stick.com/articles/setup/

You don't need to adjust it very much.

The Stick is not like instruments with a conventional center-of-neck truss design. It is very easy to adjust compared to other instruments, and you can adjust it as often as needed without having to worry about damaging the instrument.

If you have any questions let me know.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Just go very easy on the truss rod; do small adjustments until you get comfortable with it. I've seen a stick cracked where the truss rod nut is, not pretty... So never apply too much pressure.

Cheers, Daniel.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks a lot guys! I raised the action a little bit and that did the trick.

Greg, your article was extremely useful, thanks.

- Jose

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:16 pm