It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:18 pm

Stickmen - Montreal 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Stickmen - Montreal
Hello there,

Just a quick note to report on one of the most intense Stick moments ever, yesterday I went see Stickmen live here in Montreal. At this time, probably most of you have checked their videos or may have seen their shows, so I will save you of the obvious “blown the s%^(& out of my brain”, and how cool the whole thing was. I got to shake hands with Tony Levin too, which on itself was for me a very humbling moment, as I play what I play, and like what I like in music in grand part because of him. I would recommend all the members of this great forum to make the extra effort of following their schedule and try seeing these guys live, as they will probably become a “before and after” event in your musical lives. At least here in Montreal the publicity/press around the event was nonexistent, I just got news of it thanks to facebook.

Just a few topics worth mentioning:

- I was really impressed with Michael Bernier, you can see how the terabytes of resources this guy has are well and timely used. I was surprised by his soloing technique (he can deliver crazy-Adrian-Belew fireworks solos and make the whole thing look very easy) as he mostly combines his left hand doing the heavy work (like a guitar player) but he jumps very fast and with great precision with his right hand alongside the fret-board. The intervals between right and left hand when he is “shredding” the stick are very original. His bass licks will some day (today) be a reference to follow… just amazing.
    - What to say about Sir Tony Levin…. The great master is a show on his own. I was amazed to see his pedal board, a collage of 10+ effect boxes all inter-wired, all over the place, with a sound that could kill your mama. The way he plays made me think of how Frank Zappa played the guitar, sort of muscle/testosterone-driven, take-no-prisoners delivery, I can feel that the guy has no insecurities whatsoever, he just sends the hands to where he feels and the pure magic just flows.
    - The guys used and abused the bow, and in one tune even Pat Mastelotto used the bow on some of his cymbals. If you dig drums and would like someone to redefine to you how what the role of a drummer should be in a band on this century, this would also be a show not to be missed.

Great…. Nothing else to add. If they pass close to your location, don’t miss them

Regards,

Wed May 12, 2010 6:57 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stickmen - Montreal
Hi Gustavo,

I just got their new disc yesterday. It's fantastic. Heavy, energetic, brilliant. I'm planning on seeing them on the 20th in Springfield.

Thanks for the report, I'm sure it will be an amazing concert.

Wed May 12, 2010 7:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Nice review of the live Stick Men experience, Gustavo, and nice writing too. Your style is "thewildest" but disciplined and revealing in the thought processes and I appreciate that. (BTW, your 11-string Grand Stick is ready and Cambria says she has been trying to reach you.)

Just this morning I shared a similar "most intense Stick moment" when I heard Stick Men's "Soup" CD for the first time. It's the four movements of "The Firebird Suite" that did it for me! It's a family thing, as we raised our two daughters Diana and Grace on Igor Stravinsky's "Firebird" and "Petrushka" (the puppet) orchestral works by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. (I still have the LP and seem to remember every chord progression and contrapuntal line.)

So all the extended Chapman family will receive their Soup free from the kitchen, as I'm sure it will have special meaning. Tony and Michael definitely bring a new slant, but in a strange way also faithful to the composer, and it's all done on Stick - beaten Stick, bowed Stick, plucked, heavily processed, then clean and clear Stick, every orchestral sound imaginable. Pat Mastelotto's dynamic drums seem to cast Igor as a heavy metal guru before his time. His odd metered classical composing skills seems perfect for Tony's thundering trio.

I just have a feeling about the Stick/Stravinsky connection... Emmett

Wed May 12, 2010 12:28 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Here's a video on Facebook from the Bearsville show:

http://www.facebook.com/stickist#!/vide ... 952&ref=nf

Wed May 12, 2010 1:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Indeed a fantastic evening!!! The guys were brilliant and I'm just so thankful for artists like Tony, Michael and Pat who go out of their way to meet with their fans after the event. And that's something you'll find a lot in the Stick community. Meeting members of this forum is just like meeting old friends which was the same feeling I had last night at the StickMen concert. All in all, a great show with great music and great people.... What else can you ask for???

Cheers,

Yves.

P.S. And I second the recommendation by thewildest... If they come by your town, don't miss them!!!

12 String Bamboo Grand, #5932, Matched Reciprocal Tuning

Wed May 12, 2010 7:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the replies, and thanks Emmett for your review and the incredible news ... I am anxious waiting the arrival of "the item"

Yves, first time I see someone from "la belle provence" around here, nice to meet you and I wish I could have met a fellow stick-player at the venue. Let's keep in touch, we should organize a jam session.

Regards,

Gustavo

Thu May 13, 2010 5:51 pm

thewildest wrote:
Yves, first time I see someone from "la belle provence" around here, nice to meet you and I wish I could have met a fellow stick-player at the venue. Let's keep in touch, we should organize a jam session.

In fact, you would have met two of them!!! I was with Fred-Erick Sauve who plays regularly in the Montreal area. It would be great indeed if we could meet some time in the future. I'll check with Fred-Erick when I see him next time around.

Cheers,

Yves.

Thu May 13, 2010 7:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

another video from the tour, this one with the board mix:

"Red"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SmFoDbOLg[/youtube]

for RSS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SmFoDbOLg

looking forward to Thursday.

Tue May 18, 2010 5:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Just noticed that Tony just put some links to some pretty high quality video from this show up on his site.

The more I look at it, The more I like it....indeed !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZpJkr8fFo - Indiscipline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5cVdvz9hnM - Relentless

Awesome !!

Graphite 10 String Grand/ PASV-4 #5895

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks for the links Don!!! Makes those wonderful moments last a bit longer!!!

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery