It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:30 pm

Higher Bass, Lower Melody Tuning on 10string stick? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Higher Bass, Lower Melody Tuning on 10string stick?
I've been considering moving to a tuning that would give me a larger amount of overlap without my hands getting in each other's ways.
Lately i haven't really felt like I want the lower bass notes, but I'd like some deeper melody notes.
I don't feel like I do the bass justice, but I do enjoy playing a chordal backing to melodies and rich right hand chords.

One idea i thought would be good would be to use the Grand tuning without the lowest bass string, and without the highest melody.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I realise an sg12 with a 5ths bass tuning would be more suited to me, but I just don't have the option of changing instruments.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:34 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Higher Bass, Lower Melody Tuning on 10string stick?
I think Bob Culbertson tuned his acou-Stick in a manner similar to what you're speaking of: bass strings a 1/5th higher but with the melody strings a 4th higher as well.

Seems interesting

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

There is an absence that bassists feel in particular when focusing more energy on the melody side, as though they are sacrificing the groove. My personal opinion is this - the bassist side of the mind is wanting to fill that space with a bass part, but the Stick is not a bass.

It's hard to let that go, but before you try changing your tuning, perhaps try approaching it from the mindset that it's a balance of both hands, regardless of whether you are using the two lowest strings. So just focus on using both hands and allow yourself some time to let your left hand strike a balance between bass-like parts and more rhythmic melodic expression.

As for tuning, well I am fond of the Full Baritone tuning. On a 10-string Stick, the left hand is tuned up to D instead of C (D, A, E, B, F#) and the right hand is tuned to C# (C#, F#, B, E, A), this was the original tuning from which the Baritone Melody took it's name. This tuning offers beautiful crossover and the lower bass notes when you need them.

Enjoy the Bass hubris post attached.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Kalyptic wrote:
I've been considering moving to a tuning that would give me a larger amount of overlap without my hands getting in each other's ways.
Lately i haven't really felt like I want the lower bass notes, but I'd like some deeper melody notes.
I don't feel like I do the bass justice, but I do enjoy playing a chordal backing to melodies and rich right hand chords.

One idea i thought would be good would be to use the Grand tuning without the lowest bass string, and without the highest melody.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I realise an sg12 with a 5ths bass tuning would be more suited to me, but I just don't have the option of changing instruments.
You didn't say which tuning you have now.

I played Baritone Melody 10-string exclusively for many years (starting even before it was an "official tuning" way back in 1985 after breaking my highest melody string just a few months after starting with The Stick). There's lots of overlap, and plenty of range for bass chords and bass notes.

Stick Figures, Sol, and Water on the Moon were all recorded with this tuning..

If you look at any of my 10-string videos, that's the tuning you'll see and hear.

Here's one from the way-back machine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TgbnXMM5eo[/youtube]

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TgbnXMM5eo[/youtube]

As usual...really well played...love it!

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

so ill throw my 'bastard bari' into the mix: i have a 12string DBR Grand and to make both my instruments "match up" on the inlays, my 10string Ironwood is tuned a half step down on the bass and its deep bari on the melody so...the lowest strings (5th&6th)are exactly an octave apart. (B@twelth fret) one finger octaves! it was only confusing for the first 4 years...

peace(i think) -marty

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I currently play matched reciprocal on a 36 inch scale stick, PASV pickup and medium strings.

The overlap available in baritone tunings is interesting, however I generally feel that I want to move out of the bass territory a bit more, so I could easily fit in with a bass player if I ever want to. As I am a bass player, I find It very hard to be satisfied with what i can do in that lower range whilst trying to play chords and sing. I'm finding both my hands want to be around the same area of the neck a lot of the time.
I'm thinking more Cello + Baritone guitar. I think it would work for my solo stuff as well as with a band.
If I were buying now I would definitely get an SG12.
However at the time I got my stick I was looking at expanding from my bass role, but things have changed.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:08 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Kalyptic wrote:
I currently play matched reciprocal on a 36 inch scale stick, PASV pickup and medium strings.

The overlap available in baritone tunings is interesting, however I generally feel that I want to move out of the bass territory a bit more, so I could easily fit in with a bass player if I ever want to. As I am a bass player, I find It very hard to be satisfied with what i can do in that lower range whilst trying to play chords and sing. I'm finding both my hands want to be around the same area of the neck a lot of the time.
I'm thinking more Cello + Baritone guitar. I think it would work for my solo stuff as well as with a band.
If I were buying now I would definitely get an SG12.
However at the time I got my stick I was looking at expanding from my bass role, but things have changed.

Then I think the idea of Classic Melody (high D)
and bass 5ths beginning with G is a really good one.

While you may want to keep the melody tuning you have for familiarity reasons, that extra whole step is a really nice addition to the range of the melody strings.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I used DBR tuning (one step down) for little more than a year.
It's a really nice tuning for "bassists" begin into the Chapman Stick world. Now I'm in DMR heavy and this tuning give me the best of both.

But I wish one day have one extra Stick for DMR e roll back this for DBR one step down. :)

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:38 pm