It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:01 am

More Open Mic Adventures 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post More Open Mic Adventures
I've been getting to as many open nights as possible, luckily Melbourne has lots. Its been a great way to deal with all the variability of noise, PA systems, lighting , foldback or lack of it and so on. Last night I was back at the Birmingham Hotel in Fitzroy which is Melbourne's Epicentre of Music , culture and subculture. I love the sound , I go in to the PA via my Radial DI's and the Alto Stick comes alive compared to some venues, its loud I can hear it well and and you just want to play better ( and in my case with more risk ) , its inspiring. Best I've done so far, in a short 20 minute blitz.I've reached a point when the nervousness is nicely balanced with just wanting to do more on stage. In this part of town the open nights also reveal a huge range of creative endeavour, from a semi elderly spanish guy doing traditional songs ( but Slapping most of the chords on the acoustic hedges style & it was good, if not unusual) to many others. One girl appeared with a UKE and proceeded to loop up 5 parts , some percussive, and then sing the song. Anyway , much discussion over beer with Guitar types afterward about the stick,construction, pickups, tuning , pedals and all the usual stuff, all in all a night of the most fun you can have with clothes on as someone probably once said. Stick ambassadorial duties completed. Off to another venue run by the same guy tomorrow night. Cheers > B :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: More Open Mic Adventures
beer too close to Stick and electronics. take it from one whose been there/done that

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

:D Good Advice.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Bruce likes to live dangerously........thats why he's a pirate.

cheers,
Jack Sparrow

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Love these gig reports Bruce, please keep them coming. Set lists would be grand too.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post More Open Mic Adventures
Wednesday now , gig No2, two days later, just finished the same little set , they are all originals , but stylistically different to keep interest.
The opener is " easy " bit chilled but dynamic enough to start with , called Alto Noodle. Second up is New Blue, walking bass with a right hand melody theme that evolves, a middle improv then back to the theme. 3rd is " the opposite of angry" slow melodic piece originally done on the standard though it works for the Alto. Last is Dmina Tonite, latin style groove with three right hand sections, works great when I'm warmed up and really firing. Have a bunch of others , some covers , more or less ready. I also do version of Aint no Sunshine some nights with vocals. When I'm feeling adventurous I add in "Steves Trick Bag" a liitle compendium of crazy techniques inspired by you know who[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Are you referring to Yu Gno Hu?
You've given me a GPS for our next meeting of the minds. We should explore your originals and expand the possibilities.
See you soon.

Yu Gno Hu

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

BTW...
Great drummer Paul Wertico did a recording that listed a musician in the liner notes as Yu Gno Hu. It was obvious when you heard the track that it was his ex boss who couldn't use his real name for some reason............Pat Metheny

Lee

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I thought Yu Gno Hu was an ancient chinese philosopher [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor