It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:32 pm

Carbon Chapman Stick (#2664) - truss rod? 

Post Carbon Chapman Stick (#2664) - truss rod?
As the title says, I'm owning the Chapman Stick #2664, which is a carbon CS. Sadly, I know next to nothing about materials and can't find the instructions for the instrument anymore, but if I remember correctly, this kind of material was described as being resistent to normal temperature changes. Is this correct? And if so, does this render a truss rod redundant? Because I can't find any on my instrument. Still, I feel that the action is quite high, especially down at the higher frets. Is there a possibility to adjust the string height without a truss rod?

Sorry for these newbie questions. I don't have much experience in setting up stringed instruments... Any help would be very much appreciated!

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Carbon Chapman Stick (#2664) - truss rod?
While it is true that polycarbonate and graphite sticks are less subject to climate and weather changes, the truss rod is still a feature you'll want to have -- specifically so you can choose your string gauages and adjust your action accordingly.

Yours is a polycarbonate one, from the late 80s.They don't have truss rods at all.You can lower strings at the bridge and nut, but for the best action you'll need to get Emmett to install a truss rod.

Hope this helps!

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:17 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Polycarbonate IS sensitive to climate changes, graphite hardly. ;)

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

metalken wrote:
Yours is a polycarbonate one, from the late 80s.They don't have truss rods at all.You can lower strings at the bridge and nut, but for the best action you'll need to get Emmett to install a truss rod.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, this is really helpful. I don't know how to lower the strings though. I don't see how I can manage that on my Stick, I can't find any adjustable screws. Could it be that my CS doesn't have that option? I'll try to find a camera and take a few pictures to show what I mean.
I found this timeline and there were truss rods as early as 1978. It seems the carbonate models were exceptions with no truss.
I'm afraid I can't send my Stick to Emmett, however much I'd like to do so. Since I'm in Germany, it would be just too expensive for me.

grozoeil wrote:
Polycarbonate IS sensitive to climate changes, graphite hardly.

Thanks for this information. Then I got it wrong from the instrument's instructions. I need to find them again...

Is here someone who owned or still owns such a carbonate model?

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:30 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

There are two truss rods embedded inside the instrument, they are just not adjustable.

You can add an adjustable truss if you want. See Eric Knapp's article on this:

http://www.stick.com/articles/ericsstickretrofit/

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Here the pictures.

Edit: I was too late. Damn, Greg! Now I really want my Stick retrofitted. But still, it must cost hundreds of dollars (euros) to ship to the US and back alone, plus the price for retrofitting. I need to calculate the shipping and custom duties, but it'll be too expensive for a student like me. :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:50 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nico A. wrote:
Here the pictures.

Edit: I was too late. Damn, Greg! Now I really want my Stick retrofitted. But still, it must cost hundreds of dollars (euros) to ship to the US and back alone, plus the price for retrofitting. I need to calculate the shipping and custom duties, but it'll be too expensive for a student like me. :(

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, my answer below may not be correct. I really have never used a polycarb instrument before so I would wait until Greg or someone who has owned one of these actual types of instruments weighs in...still, I THINK my answer is right, I just don't actually know it for 100%.

..based on those pictures, you can adjust the string height by loosening the strings and screwing in those screws that hold up the strings...just be careful, if the screws are old/brittle, or if they have gotten stuck, you can snap them.

Also, the screws may "bottom out", meaning they are too long to be screwed in any lower, but you can order new screws that are shorter (I believe) from Stick.

Hope this helps..

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

randy wrote:
based on those pictures, you can adjust the string height by loosening the strings and screwing in those screws that hold up the strings...just be careful, if the screws are old/brittle, or if they have gotten stuck, you can snap them.

Agreed on both counts. It looks like there's a good deal of adjustment left in those screws, so hopefully he can get the stick set up really nice. I love the string dampener lol

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:44 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Having owned some older instruments and a 'poly' it looks to me like the end pins are backed out to the limit (probably the previous owner wanted a guitar instead :cry: ).

Just adjust those screws in by about half and change the strings. Also try to replace that furry animal skin masquerading as a damper and you will probably have a playable instrument.

Just a note on my polycarb. When I got it, the condition was in the 'neglect' category. To bad because somewhere along the line it was owned by Greg.
Anyway no truss, just like yours. So I sent it to Emmett for a retrofit...

A few weeks later Emmett e-mailed me and said "are you sure you want a truss rod installed, the
neck is perfectly straight"? I asked him to install it anyway just to be safe. So, great Stick, I love the polly sound and there is a difference, but I have never once needed to adjust the truss; and that is after about seven years...

jRj

PS. I forgot to add the wrench ;) "Gambling only pay's when your winning" PG.
Get a full retrofit, it's worth the time and money.

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:10 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Nico,

where in Germany are you? Maybe there's a Stickist near you who can help adjust the instrument.
(I'm in Freiburg/Br.)

Cheers,
Johannes

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:21 am