It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 removing color/ anodizing from railboard frets and markers? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: removing color/ anodizing from railboard frets and marke
I would be curious to know if the top of the fret could be made to look like the sides of the frets...as in this picture:

or is that just an effect from lighting?

Fri May 06, 2016 8:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Its shadow Randy....or rather, the way the photo was taken. In all the pics I've seen, the board colour blends into the frets, rails.
Cheers,
K

Fri May 06, 2016 9:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

The sides are exposed aluminum, but the anodized surface on the frets prevents the fret from becoming worn by the strings.

Fri May 06, 2016 10:37 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Coupla years ago, I posted this.

I play a 10 string Stick and sing. It means my hands move a lot on the instrument and I sometimes really have to give a quick glance to the fretboard to know where I go. I also rely on peripheral vision. When I got my Railboard and began to sing, I noticed that I needed this reference, specially when the light was low.

But it just took a roll of car pinstripe (TRIMBRITE® 1/8") to solve the problem.

Attachment:
Railboard_1.jpg

Attachment:
Railboard_2.jpg

You just have to carefully leave the tip of the rails "nude" to avoid any interference between the pinstripe and the string/rail contact point. You can remove the pinstripe anytime without any residual stuff on the instrument. A clean and safe method.

Greetings from Switzerland

Olivier

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 07, 2016 2:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

That is clever, Olivier! And neatly done!

Sat May 07, 2016 5:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Olivier wrote:
But it just took a roll of car pinstripe (TRIMBRITE® 1/8") to solve the problem.
Olivier for the win! I'd think that solves this! (I'll let you all know how my stickers turn out, and if they Stick!)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat May 07, 2016 5:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Absound wrote:
The sides are exposed aluminum, but the anodized surface on the frets prevents the fret from becoming worn by the strings.

interesting...I guess you couldn't easily just leave the "top" of the frets un-anodized (not the where the string contacts, but where Olivier put his stickers)?

Sat May 07, 2016 8:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

That would be a question for Emmett himself. I know the bowls are drilled out to make the silvery aluminum become exposed, that would be fairly less labor intensive than exposing the "slope" of the fret since it likely is done with a drill press. I don't know how the side of the fret "slope" would be exposed, perhaps with a Dremel tool and a steady hand, which makes me queasy to think about. I still think the metallic silver marker is a faster/less expensive/safer option.

Sat May 07, 2016 10:21 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Or... just get good at playing! hahah ( just kidding!) Seriously, though... A violinist doesn't have frets. Nor does a cellist, or Viola, or a singer... and on my guitar or bass, I just "know where to go" but I feel like that was a thing that just developed over time... I learned a whole lot of different types of music on guitar, and paid a lot of money to be immersed in it for a few years; Maybe that's what needs to be done with the Stick... I know when I was at School we absolutely hammered sight singing, relative pitch and stuff via solfege and at the end of two years I could sight-sing better than I could sightread on my instrument. Actually I think I still can...

As per Free Hands, the hands eventually just "see" the notes. I myself am still working on this, but it's coming together. It takes time I think, and a lot of different approaches. Getting really warm and fuzzy with simple things has been the best route for me! (Power-chords) And no, I won't be challenging Bob Culbertson to a Stick-war any time soon, but that isn't what it's about is it? Simple music is okay too!

What if you just suffered with the markings, and closed your eyes while you play? I mean it might be a bit rough at first but you would take reliance on the markers completely out of the equation...

I personally just love the look of the railboards.. I hate to cover it with stickers and stuff hahaha

Good luck, guys!

Sat May 07, 2016 10:56 am

Since seeing is believing, here is my Railboard before and after the silver marker applied to the bowls.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Absound on Sat May 07, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 07, 2016 11:04 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next